This recipe is the crispy pork belly that is so populair in Chinese restaurants. The crispy pork belly is deliciously sweet and crunchy. The fat of the bacon combines very well with a cabbage or tomato salad and rice.
- 1 kilo pork belly with rind, available from the butcher.
- A cup of coarse sea salt
- A flat dish to marinate the meat
- 1 tablespoon fennel seeds finely ground
- 1/2 tablespoon black pepperseed finely ground
- 1 tablespoon coriander seeds finely ground
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 60 ml Shaoxing rice wine
- 60 ml rice wine
- Clean it skin by scraping off any dirt with a knife. It's got to be pink. Wash the bacon and pat the top (the rind) well dry with kitchen paper.
- Mix all the herbs with the rice wine and put them in the flat dish. Put the bacon in it carefully, the rind should stay dry. Put the dish in the fridge and let it marinate for at least 7 hours. The cool air of the refrigerator causes the rind to dry out.
- Line a baking dish with aluminium and place it under a grid to absorb the fat. The bacon is placed on a grid.
- Preheat the oven to 200 degrees and, in the meantime, cut the bacon with a knife. The rind is cut into a diamond pattern.
- Place the bacon on aluminum on the grid and fold the aluminum so that a kind of bowl is created. The vow must remain uncovered.
- Place a layer of 3mm sea salt at the top on the rind. Make sure everything is well covered.
- Now let the bacon roast in its own moisture for 45 minutes.
- Remove the sea salt and remove the aluminum foil.
- Raise the temperature of the oven to 240 degrees.
- Now let the bacon roast again until the skin is crispy, about 30 to 45 minutes.